Ability Knowledge Base
Knowlege Base article: 35
Category: Product Keys, Activation, Registration
Summary: Can't get the Product Key to work.
To enter an Activation Key (called Product Key prior to version 4), follow these steps:
- Start any Ability application (Start/Program Files/Ability Office).
- If the trial period has already run out, you will be presented with a dialog asking you to enter an Activation Key. If the trial period has not yet expired, then select Help/About and click the Register button.
- Confirm that the version of Ability matches the one that you have purchased a product key for. For example, all purchases after September 2004 will be for version 4. If you have purchased version 4 and the dialog box says "Ability Office 2002" or "Ability Office 2000" then you should download and install the latest software before entering the key. Please see Ability downloads.
- The three boxes must now be filled in exactly according to the details we've given you. Note that all the fields - name, organization and activation key - must be exact (see note b. below).
- As soon as step 3 is complete, the "OK" button becomes active - click on this to complete the process. You will now be able to start the Ability program(s). If the OK button does not become active, then it can only be because the text you've entered does not exactly match the details you've been given or the key does not match your current version.
- The activation process does not allow Name and Organization to be set the same. Please contact support if you think this might be the case.
- If you select Help/About/Register in any Ability application and the dialog says "this application is fully registered" then no further action need be taken.
- If you select Help/About in any Ability application and you cannot see a Register button, then no further action need be taken.
- Please note that the Registration details for Name, Organization and Key
MUST BE EXACT, including punctuation, spacing and capitalization.
If the name specified in the confirmation of purchase email was "Phil Roach", entering "PHIL ROACH" or "P. Roach" or anything other than "Phil Roach" will cause registration to fail.
If there was no organization specified in the registration email (or letter) don't try adding one in the registration screen.
If the confirmation of purchase email specified "Inc." (note the period) as part of the organization field, please don't enter "INC", "Inc" or "Incorporated".
- If you're still having problems, try copy and paste from the registration email into the register dialog.
- You can check your product key online - see Login here.
- As a last resort, copy the details you've entered into all three boxes and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org